It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:29 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ] 
 Post subject: Reducing the stuff the FW supports
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:45 am 

Unless there is loud screaming I'm going to reduce the stuff the FW supports to match what the gen1 hw actually has.

It's easy enough to add it back in later but I don't see the point in doing all the typing today to update 24 injector channels when we'll have 8 or MAYBE 12

Scream if you feel the need.

Post subject: Re: Reducing the stuff the FW supports
PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:48 pm 

You won't hear any outcry from me! But I've always figured it was best to climb a mountain from the base up, not from the peak down... ;)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:48 am 

No complaints here either.

I think there should be discussions about things though, so the framework is in place for functionality to be added... when the time comes. Have things such as variables or functions for instance, for lambda feedback, idle air control and the like at least on a 'todo' list, and only incorporate functions when the code is stable enough.

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:56 am 

I probably titled this thread badly.

Kirk - everything on the feature list is on the feature list, don't worry.

Clint - Yes sort of.

LEt me explain a bit better. Way way back before this even was o5e there were a lot of discussion around what was it exactly and what should it do. At that time the 5554 was the primary processor and the target that was picked as the end goal was the motec M150 as an example of a great ecu.

Great!

Then we started talking about not being processor specific, and realized what a great deal the TRK 5634 was.....and basically had started trying to be all things to all people.....bad idea.

About 6-9 months ago I made the executive decisions that to succeed we need to pick a single target and aim for it and knock it off with the distractions.....that wasn't all that popular a decision but it was necessary and this thread (and several others currently running) is a continuation of that thought.

Because the FW is being re-constructed as a modular, scale-able base it makes basically no difference if we say it's 2 cylinder or 102 cylinder....but TS cares and cares quite a bit. TS comes from MS land, they sell HW, the FW is free but is married to the HW, TS is married to the FW.....so the TS configuration really really wants to be married to the HW and as we look forward to how we move past very basic engine operation it turns out the FW wants to be married to the HW even more that TS does....which brings us back to pick a target and aim for it! Its a HW/FW/TS SYSTEM, not a collection of individual pieces you can mix and match.

We're doing a massive re-work of the FW and ini file to remove what was a pretty massive limitation we had imposed on ourselves by not standardizing variables. After that we still won't really be able to take advantage of the standardization because of the way we chose to do pin assignments so that's up next I think.

TS has a quirk. It seems you can add anything to TS you like anything you like...but you can't remove stuff easily. If you remove something you need to re-key the example project which is a lot of work or you get warnings about missing variables every time you open it :x

Anyway, what I was really on about was I'm going through with Rob and looking at what each ECU pin is capable of doing and trying to figure-out how to allow it.....but if the HW isn't capable, I seen no reason to have it in the FW or TS parts.

For example the HW has 8 fuel drivers, but it turns out it can do 12 injectors by using the 4 generic drivers,.... that may act a touch different so having the individual dead time working. No need to show 24 injection channels, but there is a need to show 12 and a need to sort out the deadtime......but with only 4 spark outs the 12 injectors would be for staged injection on a 6 cyl which isn't a real high priority, but I want to be sure we know it's out there and get it on the list.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 4 posts ]