It is currently Mon May 21, 2018 7:10 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: GoogleCode dropping downloads :(
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:01 pm 

Starting 1/15/2014 googlecode will no long allow new downloads :cry:

We'll need to find find another place to put stuff

Post subject: Re: GoogleCode dropping downloads :(
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:32 pm 

http://codeplex.codeplex.com/
???

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 2:49 pm 

Maybe but that would mean moving the whole project I guess.

The easier option is probably to set something up on my server along side the forum? or find an online storage place to use.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:30 am 

Hosting your own server, whether on your provider or directly, means moving things no matter what- URL / URI will change, and also providing GIT, SVN or whatever for version control is another matter altogether.

To me, it seems things will break no matter what if G won't allow new downloads or whatever.

Maybe it's for the better anyhow? Cut the ties that bind. May be a little harsh on my part but the wiki was lacking in more ways than I'd thought possible. Did I mention I like pickles? :D

I've never used Codeplex and couldn't get the GIT thing working- the software kept complaining about the HTTPS prefix on things. That's not to say that had it worked I'd have made any memorable contribution, but that's not the point. I followed the directions and it didn't work and it is what it is otherwise I'll keep babbling on about how Google keeps .... my pickles. :P

:)

The least you can do is try. Run it in parallel and if it fails, axe it.

I'm not sure how you'd host your own repository, but I'll look into it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 am 

abecedarian wrote:

I'm not sure how you'd host your own repository, but I'll look into it.

I didn't want to host s repo or wiki just downloads.

The repo issues you've had I need to better understand. Git seems to piss off about 90% of the people who try it but that doesn't sound like the issue you're having.....is your issue that you can't make a clone of the repo?

The wiki......takes a LOT of time and to date I'm the only one who's even touched it, but I'm also the one managing the project and the only one actively testing and basically the only one actively coding (although Clint did just jump in with some help).......so the wiki is badly neglected. To make serious progress we need about 6-8 dedicated, knowledgeable, cooperating people and we simply don't have it......we have about 2.5.

....but the issue at hand is downloads :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:22 pm 

My issues are probably due to ignorance, to an extent, and that I'm running Win8 is probably a factor as well. :)

Quite frankly, I don't see the need for a wiki. I've seen the confusion wiki's can create for various things when there's a forum available for them. The wiki is rarely updated meaning the forums are more current than the wiki.

Forum topics here would serve the same purpose. Make them read only and give the appropriate users moderator access over them and they can be maintained as if they were a wiki.

Your current forum system allows attachments, so if you want a download link to the firmware, maybe make a topic for code download and post the code as an attachment. Problem there may be with the forks and others' modifications and how to roll that into the source, but then I assume that was already an issue using GIT- getting contributions and figuring out how those roll into the code you're working on.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:27 pm 

github works well.

Patrick

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 9:24 pm 

Oh man, I totally disagree with the comment re no need for the wiki.

Regarding the forum being the documentation I have other projects I am involved in where I'm a johnny come lately. And there is so much rubbish and noise that gets caught up in forum content. Processing it all just takes to much time. Even an out of date wiki points me in the right direction.

I find GitHub ok.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 3:38 am 

gravelrash wrote:

Regarding the forum being the documentation I have other projects I am involved in where I'm a johnny come lately. And there is so much rubbish and noise that gets caught up in forum content. Processing it all just takes to much time. Even an out of date wiki points me in the right direction.

I find GitHub ok.

I could agree with the comment about even an out of date wiki points, but if the forum content has made the wiki out dated, what's the difference?

Whether the wiki maintainer or the user filtering through forums does the work, it's a problem.

A) Search the forums for your problem.
B) Search the wiki for your solution.

A wiki can never address each and every variable within a system in an exact and concise manner. Nor can a forum discussion for that matter. But the forum construct is better suited to discussions than a wiki, and more suitable to variations within the content than a wiki.

For lack of a better example, look at MegaSquirt's forums and documentation. If they had the documentation worked out, there'd be little reason for the forums. The documentation started out with a relatively narrow focus covering a few MAP and TPS sensors, ignition output configurations and some other things. Enough information to get most engines running.

Didn't stop the people from doing things the designers didn't anticipate.
So where are those problems being solved? Wiki or forums?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:25 am 

gravelrash wrote:

I find GitHub ok.

I'm with you. I think during development the forum is an "at the moment" kind of think with lost a noise followed by LOTS of outdated information that turns up in a topic search.

The wiki is critical....and I need to find time to get it up to date :(

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 7:27 am 

patrick wrote:
github works well.

Patrick

Is there a download option/feature? I only looked quick but didn't see anything and that is the piece we're losing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:40 am 

abecedarian wrote:

There is truth to your thought. In my mind problems get solved on the forum then the correct answer added to the wiki. The manuals need to exist in a controlled place and ideally any new version of the master branch would mean there is a new wiki to go with it build from the information that was generated on the forum during the creation of the new features.

.....and I think we'll get there but things are a bit unstable at the moment, no engines running, mostly no one outside the very core team ever trying to run the FW so for the next couple months I think the wiki will have to wait. As we start getting beta cars going we will have no choice but to build out the wiki. My plan is get the basic stuff we know we need into the code and bench tested, then bump it to master where it's basically locked and get going on beta builds and the wiki.

I think.....

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 4:39 am 

mk e wrote:
abecedarian wrote:

There is truth to your thought. In my mind problems get solved on the forum then the correct answer added to the wiki. The manuals need to exist in a controlled place and ideally any new version of the master branch would mean there is a new wiki to go with it build from the information that was generated on the forum during the creation of the new features.

.....and I think we'll get there but things are a bit unstable at the moment, no engines running, mostly no one outside the very core team ever trying to run the FW so for the next couple months I think the wiki will have to wait. As we start getting beta cars going we will have no choice but to build out the wiki. My plan is get the basic stuff we know we need into the code and bench tested, then bump it to master where it's basically locked and get going on beta builds and the wiki.

I think.....

Get mad at me or disagree; it's all the same.

What I see is wiki's are the lowest common denominator. They are the basics, and little more. Details are ferreted out in the discussions.

If wiki's were real, genuine, authentic sources of knowledge, Google, Microsoft, Apple and others would be using them, but they don't. Even the few companies I work with and use wiki's defer to their forums for the most up to date answers.

That's all I have to say about that. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:38 am 

abecedarian wrote:

Get mad at me or disagree; it's all the same.

What I see is wiki's are the lowest common denominator. They are the basics, and little more. Details are ferreted out in the discussions.

If wiki's were real, genuine, authentic sources of knowledge, Google, Microsoft, Apple and others would be using them, but they don't. Even the few companies I work with and use wiki's defer to their forums for the most up to date answers.

That's all I have to say about that. ;)

I'll neither get mad or really disagree.

I see what's you find in the wiki as immediate and fully vetted, but it can never be 100% complete

It's tough to keep a wiki or any sort of manual completely up to date so normally they only cover the basics just as you say....and that is probably where w'ell end up. There is no hope it will ever answer all the questions or replace the forum but I do I think that "the basics" should cover 90-95% of the questions people will have....wikis are a place to start not a place to end is the expression that applies I guess.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 14 posts ]