It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:31 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Post subject: Re: Change is coming.....
PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:04 am 

The latyest word from Sean is the eQADC is back on-line and much happier.

It's set up to run at 50hz-1000hz but could probably be pushed to 10000hz without issue...so whenever we have a Tuner that's capable of logging at those rates the FW is ready :)

The plan is to add an angle based option too so again when the tuner can the FW will be ready.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:57 pm 

The current project is to see about changing the output stuff back to 16 bit where ever possible to speed up the data transfer as much as possible. The FW will stay F32 for everything, but then convert for over the wire. Data logging will be much better this way so Sean feels it's worth the effort.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:23 am 

The steady march forward continues with Sean checking off issues.

This won't affect most people but the test mode has been re-work a bit so ALL testing stuff is now off when you're in run mode and it will blink a light when you're in test mode to warn you.

Also the non-sense of TS "bit" variable has been fixed. TS has a nice drop down menu for selections but it uses bits not bytes of memory so we had to create dummy variables to set the rest of the byte to "0"......pain in the but and it meant you HAD to start with an example project. Now on startup if the flash is blank the fw writes "0" and TS will not mess with it. Again most people will never notice but its WAY easier to set up now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 9:29 pm 

Maybe more interesting to me than most, this made me laugh. A while back while searching for the cause of our crank sync issue I added a "jitter" function to the test rpm setup to make the test signal look more like the crappy bouncing signal that comes off most hall sensors. It did the trigger and let me generated a signal that could go from perfect to so bad the ECU could not sync to it. It was a big help in confirming the issue and fixing it.

Fast forward to today.....Sean's got the jitter function so juiced up it will even crash the test signal generating code and lock up the eTPU channels running it. That's a messed up signal! But pick tamer values and it makes an output that looks just awful on a scope and is a much more adjustable mess than my simple version.

So the test signal stuff is now pretty much all done from AN inputs to crank signal output.....that means it's finally time to to turn crank/cam back on followed by fuel and spark. The 31st is looks pretty iffy, ......it's close to rebuild now and we should be ready to start moving forward again in a week or 2.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:12 pm 

Well....its the 31st and we aren't quite there yet. :(

but we're getting closer everyday :)

The repository has moved to:
https://bitbucket.org/essess/o5e/overview

The the forum link has been updated so no need to worry this will get lost.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:16 pm 

wow - I didn't know this thread was going on ...
anyways, any questions about the code up in bitbucket ?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 2:37 pm 

Sean, I keep coming up with questions and I formulate a cogent way to ask it and in the process--eventually--I come up with the answer. So for the moment and not for lack of trying, I don't have any questions with which to bug you--YET.

There is one little thing though that is hardest for me to sort out and that's the error process. Is there an App Note that covers the logic in your software? It appears, I'm gonna' need my hand held on that one...

Thanks,

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:05 pm 

No appnote,

But the idea of the error api is to have a way for code to 'push' errors onto a stack and have them 'popped' off later for inspection. I have made a windows app (also in the repo) to automate that for you. I use it a lot, which is probably why you have the question and the reason I made the app.

To use it, you make an 'error code' in err.h and simply push that code from wherever you plan on using it. The error codes are readable 'raw' from a terminal, just press the 'p' key and it spits out the code as a 'module/code' pair in decimal form.

If you do not want to use a terminal/app to 'pop' off codes, you can observe the first code in the stack via the LED chirps - I documented how to read those codes in the error task.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:23 pm 

To everyone,

I like doing self evals. I've been looking over my code for the last few days and doing some thinking. I've come up with one statement that summarizes how I feel about it. I think Paul's question helped to drive that home:

I've succeeded in managing the work, but have failed to manage the complexity.

The work was easy, it's just boilerplate kinds of stuff that I've been doing for years professionally and for fun. It took <4 wks to build it from nothing. I'm quite happy with it. It differs from Jon's code in one simple way - I've managed to distribute most of the complexity (a couple layers deep) under the top layer you see now.

I'm pretty much stalled trying to figure out how I'm going to manage the next few layers of abstractions and I don't think it's a one person job. The work is easy, the complexity is killing me as a singular 'worker bee'. I look into this and wonder if I'm doing it all wrong and I probably am since I haven't heard anything back.

It is what it is, but I'm wondering how to simplify it more and I honestly don't think that's possible - if it's not possible then the project has exceeded my mental capacity.

Has anyone at least looked at the code and thought 'this is too much for me to comprehend .. and I don't even want to comprehend it' ? be honest - who cares - it's just code. What other things have you thought when looking at it ?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 10:01 pm 

essess wrote:
Has anyone at least looked at the code and thought 'this is too much for me to comprehend .. and I don't even want to comprehend it' ?

Yes.....but for me the issue is simply that I'm WAY not fluent enough in code to actually read the code. The couple times you've told me what you were doing it made perfect sense....but reading it is well beyond my ability :(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:47 pm 

In a forum reply to Sean's comment about complexity, I will include part of an email I sent to him on the subject:

"Hmmmm. Managing the complexity.

Actually, what may surprise you, I don’t find the code too complex. Certainly, it is different than I did it and for good reason, I think. Using this device is complex quite naturally. Crudely speaking, your software is about 2MB to download of which IMB is in ‘Platform…Core’ and most of that is in the boilerplate, eTPU and mpc5634m.h files. There are two big chunks of ‘os’ and ‘inc’ outside of that. So, I don’t think that’s too bad from just a crude ‘size’ point of view.

Overall, I am pretty comfortable--though I’m not quite aboard with how the flash is managed yet. To me it’s kind of a big deal and it is buried a little so that area seems a little complex, even convoluted, to my amateur’s eye."

The code is done at a very high level of C usage, as we expected and really desired. I readily admit that it is over my head but not out of my grasp.

Of course, a set of software Specs would help in that there would be concise statements about what various features of the architecture would do and, to some extent, why. The code should 'fall out' of those statements.

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:04 am 

It turns out getting the core looking good is a MASSIVE job and made Sean's eye want to pop up of his head......so a break was in order.

With the core done and some vacation time taken Sean's back to work on getting the etpu stuff back on-line.

Toothgen is running nicely again and the interface has been upgraded a bit. This is used for testing and so it's pretty important to have it first.

The engine position stuff is also in now and ready to try. I'm guessing Sean's going to want to finish this before moving on and that means adding dynamic control of the noise rejection windows that we talked about but never actually did and really need before we put it on a car...not sure though because this may fit better in the actual engine control stuff.

Progress though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:36 am 

Sean's feeling burned out and his code's really not yet to a point that I can work with it.

I'm certain the code in the google repository would run an engine but it got some flaws that prevent it from getting to a state where it can really be trusted I think.

The forum will be here until 2016 I think but I won;t renew it beyond that

Its been a great ride but I just don't have any o5e fight left in me at this point.

Mark

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:01 pm 

A couple months have gone by and I'm felling a whole lot less burned out so I actually opened Sean's code today..... I think I found the source of the problem he was having with the engine position function but there are also a couple thinks (ok a lot of things) I see that not being a c programmer I don't exactly understand so I'm holding changing anything until I get some guidance from Sean.

More to come.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 1:10 pm 

Any chance Sean would be willing to allow his code to be posted?

Also, I'm glad to hear the vacation has helped a bit!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:25 am 

clcorbin wrote:
Any chance Sean would be willing to allow his code to be posted?

Also, I'm glad to hear the vacation has helped a bit!

Yes:

https://bitbucket.org/essess/o5e/overview

I have had zero luck making meaning progress with it and have abandoned the effort at this point.

I've been pretty busy with a LOT of other things lately but I have a general plan to roll back to Jon's code base and just deal with the limits for now I guess.

The main issue was the 32k limit...but that can be managed better than I was managing it by simply limiting the the optional table based stuff that's allowed. Optional outs are critical to a useful ECU....but I think most people would be fine with only a couple table based optional outs and that would solve the memory issue.

Other than that the code is at a point that I'm pretty sure it can run an engine....but finding the workshop time to actually run something for the sake of running something when I have about $40k in engine parts waiting to become an actual.....the ferrari has to come first.

I will try to dig back into o5e and complete the optional out stuff......

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 2:52 pm 

I've looked at your Ferrari parts! The only thing I could say was "DAMMNNNNNN!!!!!"

The configurable IO was one of the areas that I KNEW was going to bit back and bite HARD. My personal take on "configurable IO" is that some number of resources (unused eTPU, EMIO, QADC, etc) are routed to "unused" pins. Then, there are basic functions written as a template that is WELL documented. If you need some additional function, you figure out what type you need, add a copy of the temple to YOUR source code, edit as needed, and compile it in.

That DOES force everyone who want's a customized version to be able to compile there own, but I never considered that an unreasonable requirement if you want a fully customizable PCM. If you want it all given to you on a silver platter, then pull out the check book and write the VERY big check for a fully supported aftermarket PCM and go from there...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:16 pm 

It's WAY simpler that that.....I ran out of memory and TS is designed for MS so its not happy about choice. That's it.

Just drop back to a set of less flexible options outs and all the issues go away.

I'm thinking:
2 2d table drive outs
4 1d table driven outs
4 4-way switched
everything else a 1-way switch

that's PLENTY of choices, TS can handle it and there is plenty of memory to do it. Maybe this week I can get it rolling.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3