It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:05 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Change is coming.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:02 pm 

Its come to my attention that there is a fundamental bug in o5e.....we ignore the eTPU Host Service Requests. (HSR). The way the FS eTPU code work if a HSR is generated while there is an existing un serviced HSR an etpu error is generated and the etpu needs to be reset.

Apparently the holley ecu uses the FS rTPU code and has this bug and it occasionally causes engines to stumble or stall. we don't want that.

The plan at the moment is to switch the OS to freeRTOS which is a more powerful OS that will gives more options in a lot of areas including servicing the eTPu HSRs.

We will probably add CAN com support at the same time. TS has CAN but I think I've found a better tuner option for us but it's CAN only, stay tuner!...get it :)

Post subject: Re: Change is coming.....
PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:01 pm 

Interesting....

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:17 am 

Update.

There is SOOO much activity behind the scenes these days I'm literally having trouble keeping up.

2 actual 5xxx programmers are now knee deep in the o5e code. The expected completion date is Jan 31.

We will be formalizing the "official" release system a bit...meaning I won't be I won't be merging changes into master anymore that that is good for everyone :)

Coms will be CAN and OBDII will be available so you can use any off the shelf OBDII tools.

The official hardware will come from Rob in 2 versions.
Standard kit - this is a normal ECU running o5e. Tuning and FW updates will done though the CAN interface. It will NOT have a jtag port, it will not accept unofficial code so you don't blow up your engine... so just like a real ECU :)

Development kit - this gets you a jtag port on the board and that is how FW will be loaded and you can load anything you please. Tuning will be CAN like the standard kit, the FW however can NOT be loaded via CAN, jtag only, and there will probably be an OBjtag just like the FS dev board.

The HW is modular with parts available separately so you could have both processor boards for 1 ecu if you like.

There is also an expansion slot and Rob will be rolling out stuff for that,

Its CAN so there will most probably be external expansion stuff

A versions with more I/O will come as fast as Rob is able....I'm pushing him for no later than June.

Again it's modular so the standard processor board(s) you have could be swapped to the new I/O board.

The real limit here is code size to stay with the free tool options but it will do all the normal stuff.

This is the plan anyway, a very flexible, expandable, affordable family of tested and know good options that will be supported on the forum, or you of course can still choose to load the o5e code into you own HW or load your own code into the o5e HW and we'll set up forum sections for these custom setups.

Things are FINALLY coming together!

Other news is an o5ePro version will follow in the Mar-Jun time frame it look like.

This will be the same HW but a closed code (so no jtag option here). This is similar but better as is NOT even pretending to use free development tools. It will have custom etpu code which gives us a LOT more options. This base code is currently running about 1/2 a dozen street and race engines but needs to be ported to the new HW which will happen AFTER the open source code is up and running properly.

Because it uses the same HW you can chose to upgrade to o5ePro at any time.

Both standard and Pro will use the same Tuning software but again the Pro version will have more stuff similar to the free/paid TS versions but optimized for o5e.

Theses are exciting times for o5e so stay tuned :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:59 pm 

I like that plan. The move from TS will differentiate this product from MS which I do like.

What can be a future issue is CAN communication with the tuner as the maximum speed is 1000k. Oem setups with can interface is really frustrating to work with because the measurements are limited. Then again with a small application as intended this will probably work just fine.

Good job, I really look forward to se this happen!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:23 pm 

glenn wrote:
I like that plan. The move from TS will differentiate this product from MS which I do like.

What can be a future issue is CAN communication with the tuner as the maximum speed is 1000k. Oem setups with can interface is really frustrating to work with because the measurements are limited. Then again with a small application as intended this will probably work just fine.

Good job, I really look forward to se this happen!

Thanks Glenn.

We're all getting pretty excited now that there is finally "critical mass"

CAN speed is 1000k...but remember the USB we had wasn't USB it was really serial at 100k so this is a 10x improvement....more actually because of TS (MS really) packet size and response time limits.

Everything planned should be a big improvement from where we are today I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:50 pm 

My comment was compared to professional grade sw packages not hobbyist.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:58 pm 

glenn wrote:
My comment was compared to professional grade sw packages not hobbyist.

Fair enough.

The motecs are just now switching from CAN to ethernet.....I think 10Mbit? But I never had any real issue with the CAN based M800 interface

The pectel is 10Mbit ethernet

So yes, we're still 1/10th what they are but we're closing at least right? :)

Ethernet would be a pain in the butt with a 5634. It's native in some PPC chips but not this one so CAN is the best option I think.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:08 pm 

Quote:
So yes, we're still 1/10th what they are but we're closing at least right? :)

Given the options i would say YES..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 9:25 pm 

USB 2.0 is 12mB/Sec and 3.0 is 4gB/sec... I'll see what can be done to meet the spec.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:29 am 

A few days have gone by and guess what?

The count-down to completion continues.

Jan31 is still looking good...seriously!

no really :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:31 pm 

Things are moving.

I'm told a 5634 port of freeRTOS is mostly running at this point. Yay!

Also FreeScale has released CW 10.5 as a special edition meaning no time limit but a 512k size limit. We were using CW2.10SE which had a 128k limit so this is a big improvement and means the code size is essentially unlimited as we were staying within 128k without much effort....I don't think we could fill 512k if we tried so that is a most excellent development.

There isn't going to be much, if anything left of the old code.....and that has us talking licenses again. More to follow on this but know that I'm lobbying pretty hard to keep o5e source available even though after,...... wow what is it, 4 or 5 years now?, I've learned almost no one actually looks at it and even fewer actually ever tried to write anything :(

...either way there will absolutely continue to be a free version :D

, and hopefully one with source for the 3 people who care :?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:10 pm 

For the source code I think for the source we've settled on:
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by- ... deed.en_US

It says :
Share — copy and redistribute the material in any medium or format
Adapt — remix, transform, and build upon the material
The licensor cannot revoke these freedoms as long as you follow the license terms

Attribution — You must give appropriate credit, provide a link to the license, and indicate if changes were made. You may do so in any reasonable manner, but not in any way that suggests the licensor endorses you or your use.

NonCommercial You may not use the material for commercial purposes

No warranties are given. The license may not give you all of the permissions necessary for your intended use. For example, other rights such as publicity, privacy, or moral rights may limit how you use the material.

Now.....there will need to be a separate contributor license for anyone who wants to send in code for inclusion in the officially released code base and that license will assign all rights to my company, Induction Logic and even then I can't promise the code will be used....hell I'm not even allowed to write code anymore :shock:

There is some kind of crazy expectation that anything that ends up in the official release should actually be good code not just a good idea :lol:

Yes, this is more restrictive than my original vision for the project but you're still getting good running code, access to the source, and a tool set so you can change whatever you want all at no charge. If you send in good ideas or good code, it will get added. If you want to post your stuff, no problem....and that is what this project is all about.

After nearly 5 years or running in circles I think I've finally managed to pull together a great team that can get this done! and done better that I"d hoped.....but there was a small price to be paid.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 am 

Things are moving but we're finding some teething pain type stuff within the team as we try to sort out a few basic decisions of the either will work but which makes more sense type where there is no clear right answer....but we're inching forward so that's good.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:17 pm 

I'm going to have to back up a little bit it looks like.

We want to keep the o5e code as DIY friendly as it can be AND up the calibration data size limit to 64k and these as a little bit at odds due to ram limits in the 5634

To do both the only good option appears to stick with cocoOS. Its a non-preemptive OS which is not ideal because even important stuff has to wait it's turn, but because it's non-preemptive the tasks don't get stack space in ram which frees up the ram to hold the 64k cal data which makes live tuning easy to do.

This thought process drags the Tuner in too.....the new tuner wants some fancy stuff going on in the FW for it to work right and that seems out of scope too.

So....
The 05e core is being re-work to make it a whole lot more stable and add 64k cal data capability but it won't have everything we would have liked to do....an honestly there is very little change anyone will actually know difference between what is and what could have been.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:55 pm 

Did you plan to implement ccp or xcp over can?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:30 am 

glenn wrote:
Did you plan to implement ccp or xcp over can?

Yes I think the plan was XCP and may still be if we can sort out a couple of the issues we've run into .

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:39 pm 

mk e wrote:
Yes I think the plan was XCP and may still be if we can sort out a couple of the issues we've run into .

Please sort out the issues. XCP is a working solution. The concept of a2l files is compelling. No more manually making descriptor files as in the ms world.

There is also some commercially avialable tuning packages for xcp. Licensing costs for these are prohibitive though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:17 pm 

glenn wrote:

Please sort out the issues. XCP is a working solution. The concept of a2l files is compelling. No more manually making descriptor files as in the ms world.

There is also some commercially avialable tuning packages for xcp. Licensing costs for these are prohibitive though.

It's either too expensive (aka not free) or not compatible for 1 reason or another :Welcome to my little hell . :twisted:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:33 pm 

Is there any aftermarket ecu:s that run xcp?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:41 pm 

glenn wrote:
Is there any aftermarket ecu:s that run xcp?

Not off the top of my head there aren't.

I'm working on a feature list for the free and Pro versions.....when I have a decent draft I'll post it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:20 am 

Work is continuing.

The FS flash code is not very compatible with the fact that cocoOS is non pre-emtive so the plan use the FS code fell apart and new flash code is in process.

....one step at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:35 pm 

Master Sean has worked his magic and the new flash code is done and working properly.....at 64k :)

It's set up to use 16 pages at 4k each so big tables and everything else fits.

The other new feature is all the cal info is now in ram during live tuning so there is really no possible way to have a stumble no matter how much stuff you try to burn at one time.

Now I need to get the ini updated while Sean re-does the tuner interface code.

We're very very close now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:25 pm 

I'm working away on the feature list draft and I"m honestly a little surprised just how often I get to put "complete" in the status block :)

hopefully I'll have the 1st draft out today, tomorrow at the latest so every one knows what exactly we're working toward and can "speak up for forever hold you peace".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm 

Sean got all crazy today and decide to write error reporting code before the tuner code thinking knowing is something is wrong would be helpful.

...I know, crazy talk right?

We're also working out the pinout with Rob and Rob's wondering if more stuff could be added to the 46 pin platform. Stay tuner there.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:33 pm 

This is excellent, I'm glad to see things really starting to gain some momentum. I'm really interested in seeing the feature draft. While I don't expect there to be support for my primary vehicles (no sync dizzy for both), I've recently moved to using aftermarket ECU for my more modern vehicles, so I may still be in the running to be able to run on O5E :)

Since you've decided to go pure CAN, was any progress made on the cheap USB<-->CAN front? I have my own CAN to USB solution that I use nowadays, but it would be nice (and significantly more universal, as mine is Windows only) if that hardware ever came out.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next