It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:26 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: Change is coming.....
PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:47 pm 

malcom2073 wrote:

Since you've decided to go pure CAN

We've had to back peddle a little on that I"m afraid, at least for the moment. The CAN based tuner is not going to be ready on a timeline that makes sense so we'll need to stick to TS for now and that means serial.

The new tuner is still on the table (and certainly so is emstudio) I think but I need to sort out the timing and whether it will be a PRO only thing.

USB is eating 4 header pins which would be nice to have for other things.......

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 2:49 pm 

The error code work is done so Sean is on to the tuner stuff.

Also the first draft of the processor pin out is now in Rob's hands so we are still tracking to the 1/31 completion date.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:34 am 

I started a new thread for the feature list:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=80

Sean and I are well into the processor pinout.....and may be asking Rob to make a couple small changes to the header pinout to find us what we need for a couple things on the feature list. Hopefully this gets locked in the next couple days so Rob can get rolling on the processor board.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:00 pm 

I think the pinout is about set now - Yay!

.... and there are a couple little things we need to ask Rob for to get all the stuff we'd like the 46 pin unit to be able to do so hopefully he'll be able to work some magic.

Another step forward.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:31 am 

The processor pinout is now with Rob.
Once he agrees I'll make it public but it does allow:
4 wheels speeds
DBW
4 spark
8 fuel

so pretty good.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:36 pm 

Here's the processor pinout that we are going with....until it changes ;)

Attachments:
pins 2013-12-22 Mark (r3).zip [13.49 KiB]
Downloaded 368 times

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:10 am 

Stepper idle?
More digital out? I am using one extra fuel pump for the main tank that I currently start previous to the one in the catch tank. Also my fan does not have pwm input but discrete steps realized with 3 digital outputs.

Headers please.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:08 am 

glenn wrote:
Stepper idle?

We ran out of pins, mainly because of the need to burn 4 on USB. The plan at the moment is an expansion box that reads the PWM idle output and outputs a stepper signal.

glenn wrote:
More digital out? I am using one extra fuel pump for the main tank that I currently start previous to the one in the catch tank. Also my fan does not have pwm input but discrete steps realized with 3 digital outputs.

I know.....but it's only 46 pin.

Any of the outputs that are not need for the primary function can be used as digital or PWM out so the fan could be service that way....or run at 1 speed I gues right?

The 2 fuel pumps is a problem..... that one never occurred to me so the optional out functions don't have a timer like the fuel pump function does, and the pump function is only on the pump pin. Let me think about that.

What is the car Glenn? How many fuel and spark does it need I guess is the bigger question. This 1st ecu will have 16 outputs total and should have the option to expand the idle out to 4 giving 19 total

glenn wrote:
Headers please.

Let me ask Rob. He was talking about a couple changes but he my be willing to release what he gave me to work from.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:01 am 

Let me add this reminder....the first offering will be a very low cost basic 4 cylinder 4ecu.....it will run 8 cyl but at the cost leaving 4 outputs left. We'll make it do everything we can with the pin we have, but it primary mission is low cost reliable 4 cyl ecu.

offering 2 will be a 60-80 pin version designed to have a lot more I/O available

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:34 am 

Also...we're trying to figure out how to get rid of usb and use the 4 pins as outputs, probably stepper capable outputs.......but no promises on that one.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:40 am 

Quote:
What is the car Glenn? How many fuel and spark does it need I guess is the bigger question. This 1st ecu will have 16 outputs total and should have the option to expand the idle out to 4 giving 19 total

It is a Jensen Interceptor. Mopar 440 engine. Currently running tps, map, clt,mat, fuel and oil pressure, 2 fuel pumps, 3 pin fan, 1 lsu,1 stepper. So that would be 8 fuel 4 spark 7 analog 2 timer and 9 digital.

With a flexible CAN expansion box this will be feasible..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:59 am 

glenn wrote:
Quote:

It is a Jensen Interceptor. Mopar 440 engine. Currently running tps, map, clt,mat, fuel and oil pressure, 2 fuel pumps, 3 pin fan, 1 lsu,1 stepper. So that would be 8 fuel 4 spark 7 analog 2 timer and 9 digital.

With a flexible CAN expansion box this will be feasible..

ohhhhhh :(

I think you told me that once before but I just didn't realize how much other stuff you had on it. I hate to say this to a willing beta and well qualified tester, but I'm afraid you are going to need the next ecu to run that or use 2 ecus and a stepper expander.

We could, in theory, turn an ecu into a CAN expansion box and there would be no need for the USB so the stepper driver could be dropped in.....but I'm not sure it makes any sense to do that knowing a larger ECU that has all this is coming in about the same time frame it would take to do the new FW/SW for the expansion box.

:(

Question. Is the LSU you have controlled by the ecu or a separate box?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 4:24 pm 

Quote:
We could, in theory, turn an ecu into a CAN expansion box and there would be no need for the USB so the stepper driver could be dropped in.....but I'm not sure it makes any sense to do that knowing a larger ECU that has all this is coming in about the same time frame it would take to do the new FW/SW for the expansion box.

We will see. I am currently running a hacked ms2. While it works I am interested in going sequential as I converted from tbi to pfi.

Quote:
Question. Is the LSU you have controlled by the ecu or a separate box?

Separate box.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:40 pm 

glenn wrote:

We will see. I am currently running a hacked ms2. While it works I am interested in going sequential as I converted from tbi to pfi.

Well...if you want to try one I can offer to give you a full credit swap toward the larger unit when it comes available.

[quote =" mk e"]Question. Is the LSU you have controlled by the ecu or a separate box?

glenn wrote:
Separate box.

If its a 0-5V output for our O2 input will read it sounds perfect.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:43 pm 

Here's the current header pinout. There is a chance there will be 2 additional inputs M6, M7 in the final version but the boards built to date have this pinout.

Attachments:
Ecu Pins.jpg
Ecu Pins.jpg [ 88.55 KiB | Viewed 11307 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:43 pm 

Today's update is the com ifor TS is working again and now at about double the speed it was. Yay.

Next is move the actual engine control stuff into the new and much better o5e core.

It looks like 05eFree will stay serial and the PRO will be CAN and use the 4 usb pins for something else.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:23 am 

Some talking yesterday and it looks like I'll be dusting off my 1 cyl harbor freight 5hp engine for first fire testing.....with the frankenECU setup (FS dev board, MS3x I/O boards, jumper wires....pretty much a hack job) I sent Jack. He'll be sending it back to me when he gets home in a week or so and the plan is the little engine will run before 1/31 as the alpha test so beta testing can begin 1/31 with no worries.

That's the plan anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:55 am 

Work continues.

Sean reworked the way all the calibration data is store in an effort to sure it will work with all our future needs.

The ini is about to get some serious rework too. The MS com system that we are forced to use if we use TS uses pauses and calls for a burn after each "page". Originally we basically followed their page system and stuck to 2048 page sizes which was functional pre-float. We started to shift to a 4k page size then realized there really wasn't much point in have more than 1 page because we have to burn the entire flash block every time a burn is called which takes time and we store the entire cal data set in ram during tuning anyway so it appears more than 1 page does nothing but waste time and flask life....so 1 page it is unless we find that makes TS choke.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:26 pm 

Welcome to 2014, Guys!

This "1 page" thing is good news to me. The paging scheme didn't seem necessary or desirable to me though, honestly, I really didn't understand the TS/MS connection.

I can hardly wait to see this come on line. I have high hopes that I can even understand it!!

Paul

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:49 pm 

The ecu header you posted above has changed a but now mark.

The ecu at my end now is a solid:

4 HiZ injector outs
4 Direct coil drivers (also logic level)

There is an upgrade header that will have 4 addition injector drivers and some other stuff (probably interface IC's for the wheel speed sensors or Hbridge dirvers)

So the ecu WILL do 8 injectors and 4 coils.

Rob,

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:59 am 

RobT wrote:
The ecu header you posted above has changed a but now mark.

The ecu at my end now is a solid:

4 HiZ injector outs
4 Direct coil drivers (also logic level)

There is an upgrade header that will have 4 addition injector drivers and some other stuff (probably interface IC's for the wheel speed sensors or Hbridge dirvers)

So the ecu WILL do 8 injectors and 4 coils.

Rob,

Perfect :)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:08 am 

Progress continues.

Sean has the "core" pretty nice now.

The ini has been reformatted to 16 4k pages for testing because we know TS will tolerate this. Once everything is done we'll try the 1 big page as it's an easy change from where we are now.

Sean is now putting the etpu stuff back into the new core. We're talking about adding proper support for distributors and semi-sequential injection as part of this. We can currently support them but it requires multiple header pins to be used...I think it should be possible to get away from that without needing custom etpu code but it adds a little complexity to the FW and we need to decide whether or not it's worth the trouble.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:42 am 

mk e wrote:
Progress continues.

Sean has the "core" pretty nice now.

The ini has been reformatted to 16 4k pages for testing because we know TS will tolerate this. Once everything is done we'll try the 1 big page as it's an easy change from where we are now.

Sean is now putting the etpu stuff back into the new core. We're talking about adding proper support for distributors and semi-sequential injection as part of this. We can currently support them but it requires multiple header pins to be used...I think it should be possible to get away from that without needing custom etpu code but it adds a little complexity to the FW and we need to decide whether or not it's worth the trouble.

Woot for distributors, for those of us too lazy to upgrade to a proper ignition setup :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:26 am 

malcom2073 wrote:

Woot for distributors, for those of us too lazy to upgrade to a proper ignition setup :)

Distributors are fine depending on cylinder count and redline and I know there are still a LOT of them floating around out their.

The current code in the repo WILL drive a V8 distributor by selecting waste spark, 8 cyl and connecting the 4 ignition channels to the coil. What is doesn't currently do is know when you hit max dwell so 2 channels could be sending opposite signals to the coils which is not ideal.

Certainly we can solve the overlap issue with little effort but I'm PRETTY sure we can also get it to where only 1 output is needed......I THINK.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:05 pm 

The steady march to 1/31 completion continues

Sean has the eTPU back on line and is now starting to drop interface functions in so bench testing completed sections should be starting soon

Rob is hard at work figuring out just how much stuff can be stuffed into a 46 pin ECU

.......and I'm hard at work trying to get Rob to commit to making the HW available to the world at a ridiculously low price :)

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next