It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 10:02 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Known OEM ECUs with o5e-compatible hardware?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:56 pm 

Hi everyone,

First I want to say that I am new to this forum and that I am truly amazed by this project!

I am interested in trying the o5e code and from what I saw, there are some cheap OEM ECUs that use the MPC5634M chip (or some other compatible chip). Can anyone provide me with some more detailed info on this subject (preferably some part numbers that I could look for on eBay or somewhere else...)? I was looking at the GM E78 but I am not sure if the code will run on it...

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Known OEM ECUs with o5e-compatible hardware?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 8:15 pm 

Welcome.

I'm not sure what's out there for 5634 OEM ECUs...nothing I know of in the US as the chip is intended for entry level markets.

Thnen the problem isn't the processor it's knowing what signal needs to go where to make the HW work

You can assemble functional ECU hw pretty cheap
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81

IMO this is the best option at the moment. Marcus will have HW soon too and that should be neater, but the frankenECU should work. I plan to assemble one myself (I already have all the parts) once I have my car running.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:40 am 

Quote:
Thnen the problem isn't the processor it's knowing what signal needs to go where to make the HW work
But hasn't anyone managed to do this and make it work? I saw here that you had the same idea back in 2012 and from what I read there is that you ended up using the FrankenECU. Have you tried to do anything with the GM E78?

I think that this whole project would have much more value if there was a fast and easy way to start using the code on a vehicle...

Quote:
Marcus will have HW soon
I don't know your names yet but I presume that you are referring to the o5e board project... That looks very cool indeed!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:56 pm 

No they haven't.

I bought an E78 and a couple people played with it but never really got anywhere. besides being really hard to figure out what goes where there are a bunch of SPI and proprietary chips so making it very hard to know what signals to send where to get it working. A couple guys were also playing with a Chrysler ECU which is easier but they made very little progress.

It just all seemed a huge waste of time honestly because even if you get it working the HW is still very specific to the application it came from so you end up forcing people to change stuff on there cars to work with the ECU vs a proper aftermarket setup that is highly adaptable.

So I like the idea but just haven't found a practical way to do it....its just easier to start over and know what you have.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:45 am 

A quick google shows there are a number of "third party" tuner packages which support engines running on the E78. Unfortunately but not unexpectedly, none are open source. That begs the question: Where did they get the level of info needed about how the GM code works to implement a tuner?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:14 pm 

I believe the E78 is actually a Delphi unit, it looks quite similar to the current MT88 unit. I have purchased 2 Delphi ECUs, identical to the E78 but with 2 connectors on the backside (wich seem to provide access to JTAG and maybe some other interface). These come from a GM facility outside of Detroit. They were used for dyno-testing of several GM engines. What I intend to do is try to make the o5e code work on these. I am a mechanical engineer so my knowledge in software programming is currently quite low but I have some people that are excellent programmers and are willing to help me. If anyone here wants to help, any help will be greatly appreciated! The first thing I am looking at right now is a JTAG interface to connect these to. I have found a FGTech Galletto 4 device that seems to have a JTAG for MPC5566, which is what is inside the E78 I believe...

Quote:
That begs the question: Where did they get the level of info needed about how the GM code works to implement a tuner?
I presume the info has leaked in some way from one of those GM facilities...

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]