It is currently Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:23 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Franken(stein)ECU
PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:27 pm 

Quote:
There is a LOT on that board....and it's $75 :( I'm thinking most people will want to just prototype something for $% or $10 with the connector.

Personally time is the limiting factor not cost. This has changed over the years, strange is it not?

Quote:
.....is 3A enough for a throttle? I had 5A in my head for some reason?

Google the chip and first link says:

MC33926, 5.0 A Throttle Control H-Bridge

You really have to take care when doing the throttle control as to not run them in to the end stops. This WILL burn out the motor in them if you stay there. Throttles are plenty quick on significantly less than 5A.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:54 pm 

glenn wrote:

Personally time is the limiting factor not cost. This has changed over the years, strange is it not?

yeah.....that happens. When I start putting a how-to wiki together it will need to cover both groups :)

Quote:
.....is 3A enough for a throttle? I had 5A in my head for some reason?

glenn wrote:
Google the chip and first link says:

MC33926, 5.0 A Throttle Control H-Bridge

You really have to take care when doing the throttle control as to not run them in to the end stops. This WILL burn out the motor in them if you stay there. Throttles are plenty quick on significantly less than 5A.

Now I remember where I got 5A from...the FS product description.

Your suggestions look like fine options and I'm setting the required processor pins aside. I suspect as nice as the stepper board is he may want to use a pair of the motor controller boards instead because it produces a more flexible final assembly.....but the stepper board is easy to control and cheaper for the frankenECU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:16 pm 

Quote:
Your suggestions look like fine options and I'm setting the required processor pins aside. I suspect as nice as the stepper board is he may want to use a pair of the motor controller boards instead because it produces a more flexible final assembly.....but the stepper board is easy to control and cheaper for the frankenECU

This is a good idea as idle stepper and dbw are mutually exclusive. You have to be quite stupid to use booth. Wich I of course have ideas of doing. I am planning to use a dbw throttle as a supercharger bypass valve and the stepper as an idle valve. I am using this board http://www.pololu.com/product/1392. It works stand alone also with just a pot. Modulation is good enough for a by pass. I am not sure about air leakage though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:57 pm 

glenn wrote:

This is a good idea as idle stepper and dbw are mutually exclusive. You have to be quite stupid to use booth. Wich I of course have ideas of doing. I am planning to use a dbw throttle as a supercharger bypass valve and the stepper as an idle valve. I am using this board http://www.pololu.com/product/1392. It works stand alone also with just a pot. Modulation is good enough for a by pass. I am not sure about air leakage though.

LOL....yes I was of course thinking they were exclusive :)

If it works with a pot...could you just take one of the spare PWM outputs and control it with that?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:05 pm 

Mark, I'll keep all of the TS stuff in the software but I've got a lot of PLX hardware already and I hate having the laptop in the car all the time while I tune. With the simple interface, I can use the very flexible display that is installed and a few added buttons to do simple tuning tasks.

Paul S

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:47 pm 

Paul S wrote:
Mark, I'll keep all of the TS stuff in the software but I've got a lot of PLX hardware already and I hate having the laptop in the car all the time while I tune. With the simple interface, I can use the very flexible display that is installed and a few added buttons to do simple tuning tasks.

Paul S

I'm just teasing you Paul....I knew I'd never get you to use or even try a plain old normal setup, it's simply not in your nature ;)

Are you thinking...summer? you might be settled and ready to try something on your car?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:53 pm 

I ordered a bunch of support type stuff today...wire, switched, stuff for the extra AN inputs, etc.

Hopefully this weekend I can put it together and start hooking up to the test engine.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:36 pm 

The stuff I ordered will probably be delayed with the storm :(

In other news, I was looking at the MS3x board itself a bit tonight.....I'm thinking I can put that, the 5634 dev board and a little prototype board into a 5x5x1 (or maybe 1.5) box. I can also steal 4 of the TTL spark out pins and maybe 1 of the digital Ins, maybe 1 or 2 from AN in and 5Vout from the protoboard....DONE.

I'll need to think about it a bit more, but I think I can do something neat that just uses the connector on the ms3x and the usb on the Dev board so it's super cheap to assemble and handles many applications.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 10:42 am 

I'm thinking the specs on a single board franken would be

8 fuel (5A)
4 spark (TTL)
4 optional out (3A, but fuel and Tach eat 2)
6 Analog IN
2 Digital IN
Crank IN (VR/Hall
Cam IN (Hall only)

This would use just connector on the MS3x board and the USB on the 5634 dev board and be 5x5x1.5 case.....no idea what I was thinking when I said 1"

That leaves some features out but saves adding another connector which adds cost so.....this seems like a good basic unit.

More stuff can easily be added using another connector but I think I'll build the 1st 2 units this way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 11:25 am 

i had a change of and and decide it was just stupid to mess with the ms3x board to try to make 1 connector work.

I'll add a db9 for $3 to put the new stuff on.....I know...but sometimes I'm a little slow.

I also oredered a couple of these cases for $11 each:
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Bud ... 2YDcX6M%3d

So now the specs will be:
8 fuel (5A)
8 spark (TTL)
6 optional out (3A, but fuel and Tach eat 2)
8 Analog IN
3 Digital IN
Crank IN (VR/Hall
Cam IN (Hall only)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:09 pm 

I got most of the stuff I ordered for the frankenECUs so I guess it's time to clear a place on the bench and build them it....

I ordered a couple cases and bd9 connectors (so I can put the non MS3X stuff on it's own connector) yesterday so I don't quite have everything but I can get started at least. The harbor freight engine still needs a TPS and I want to re-wire it so I'll get that rolling and I'd like to put a cam sensor on it somehow.....

In theory once the test stand is ready I could try the old code I guess if I'm ready before the new code

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:04 am 

I got the rest of the stuff I ordered yesterday and cases are wrong :(

The dimensions show it as 5x5x2 but the description says 4x5x2.....the description was correct so I need to find something that is actually 5x5.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:04 am 

New case ordered - $11.02 ea
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 46-1444-12

covers - $4.50 ea
http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDet ... 46-1434-12

These are 7x5x2 so bigger than needed but still not too bad.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:23 am 

So everything has been sitting in a box waiting for me to have time to actually do something with it :(

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:15 am 

mk e wrote:
So everything has been sitting in a box waiting for me to have time to actually do something with it :(

I've got a care package of general supplies put together to keep you moving forward Marcus....it should go out tomorrow.

ITs got:
MS3X boards with connectors- 2
dual channel VR converter - 1
5V power supply - 1
a couple hundred jumpers in 6, 12, 18"
header bodies for the jumpers so you can make jumper harnesses (single jumpers tend to fall off and - ask me how I know :oops: )
a plastic sheet to mount everything on
fuel pump
fuel pressure regulator
some plumbing that should let you test injectors at pressure
a couple different injectors
a couple different hall sensors
a VR sensor
36-1 trigger wheel
wire assortment

I think that's it.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2