It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: @abcedarian on the web
PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:49 am 

Thanks for the development issues summary. Very informative.

mk e wrote:
The curent hold up the flash is limited to 32k. To get the optional outputs on-line the way they were planned that needs to be expanded to 64k.

Is the 32k a limitation of the "free" development tools?
I'm probably not understanding this correctly (not a SW person), but I'm taking your statement to mean that you can only use 32k of the 1.5M flash capability of the part?

Also, my understanding of the Freescale / ST part numbers -
MPC5634M = Freescale
SPC5634M = Freescale, Automotive Qualified
SPC563M64 = ST, Automotive Qualified

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 12:02 pm 

TonyS wrote:
Thanks for the development issues summary. Very informative.

mk e wrote:
The curent hold up the flash is limited to 32k. To get the optional outputs on-line the way they were planned that needs to be expanded to 64k.

Is the 32k a limitation of the "free" development tools?
I'm probably not understanding this correctly (not a SW person), but I'm taking your statement to mean that you can only use 32k of the 1.5M flash capability of the part?

Thanks,

No issue with the tools of limits. The issue is the blocks originally chosen are 32k...it seemed like enough but its proven not enough. Simple switching to 64k blocks doesn't work but that's all i know how to do, I need someone more talented to have a look.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:25 pm 

mk e wrote:
Then there is the "armchair quarterbacking" with you should have done this or picked that.....with not actually doing any work.

There seems to be some misunderstanding. This thread wasn't intended to criticize anyone for choosing the MPC5634M (or MPC5554 for that matter). Nor does anyone seem to be suggesting that o5e should switch to the TMS570. It's about something happening on another forum which I thought might be of interest to members here and possibly provoke some general discussion to find out if there was any life left in the idea of a pro-grade DIY engine management project.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:50 pm 

abecedarian wrote:

Yeah. There's a super cool way to do it. It would take a little hardware which would need to be done for an ECU project anyway if it's not already out there somewhere and the software to make it fly.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:57 pm 

US56 wrote:
mk e wrote:
Then there is the "armchair quarterbacking" with you should have done this or picked that.....with not actually doing any work.

There seems to be some misunderstanding. This thread wasn't intended to criticize anyone for choosing the MPC5634M (or MPC5554 for that matter). Nor does anyone seem to be suggesting that o5e should switch to the TMS570. It's about something happening on another forum which I thought might be of interest to members here and possibly provoke some general discussion to find out if there was any life left in the idea of a pro-grade DIY engine management project.

Sorry if I gave the impression that my comments were specific to anyone, they aren't.

I was sort of just pondering out loud about some of the issue 05e has and is suffering from. 05e switching to an ARM based something has actually come up many times and there seems to be a much larger knowledge base for the ARM family.

They really don't seem as appropriate as the 56xx line form a design standpoint, but the real hold up here has always been getting a "critical mass".....maybe a switch would solve that but honestly I doubt it which is why I've not bent on the point in the past.

I don't know......

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:47 pm 

Since this topic / thread is all about me and some of my extracurricular meanderings...
:lol: ...

In the obscure case anyone is wondering, I have not interpreted anything said previously as being indicative of anyone's opinion towards myself and have not taken anything said herein as some allegation or such towards myself.

Mark and I have had communications which have included some discourse but it's always been very civil and very respectful. I'm sure if he had an honest reason to disagree with anything I have said or done he'd let me know without hesitation... and I'd likely not be in the position I am, able to moderate things on the forum here in any capacity near what he's allowed me to have. This simple fact surprises me, but I think more importantly, that speaks volumes about Mark and his character... or how well I kiss a**. :P

Secretly, though, I think Mark keeps me around hoping I'll completely convert to the dark side that is O5E and become his first, true minion. After all, that would entail me losing a least one ARM in the process... and I do look good with a cape. :lol:

Now I wonder how I'll ever take any of the above things "back"....

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:06 pm 

mk e wrote:

How many beers did you have before writing that and was it while you were watching that NASCAR race on TV?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:25 pm 

US56 wrote:
mk e wrote:

How many beers did you have before writing that and was it while you were watching that NASCAR race on TV?

HEY! I did NOT say that!!!!!!

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:32 pm 

mk e wrote:
US56 wrote:
mk e wrote:

HEY! I did NOT say that!!!!!!

:lol:

Can't believe everything we read on the Internet now, can we?

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2