It is currently Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:42 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: I know there are tinkerer's hanging around: 32 bit MSP430?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:45 am 

Yep. MSP432 are available.

MSP430 low power peripherals combined with an ARM Cortex-M4F core able to run from 128KHz (in low-power mode) to 48MHz; ~90uA/MHz power consumption at speed and under 850nA in low-power mode (as low as 25nA). Reduced power usage even when compared to "efficient" M0+ cores despite being M4F (with floating point!).

Oh, and if you're an Arduino fan, the crew has released an update to Energia, which allows working with the MSP430/432 and other TI LaunchPads in a format similar to the Arduino "Sketch" idiom... but also incorporates an RTOS (TI-RTOS, a.k.a. SYS/BIOS) too.

More info as I learn more.

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

Post subject: Re: I know there are tinkerer's hanging around: 32 bit MSP43
PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:38 pm 

Quote:
Oh, and if you're an Arduino fan, the crew has released an update to Energia, which allows working with the MSP430/432 and other TI LaunchPads in a format similar to the Arduino "Sketch" idiom...

People who read this forum aren't likely to have any idea what you're writing about. A link would be handy. The MSP432 Launchpad is certainly priced right (not much more than a DiscoveryF4 board).

The MSP432 is interesting. Might be a good candidate for rusEFI if they ever wanted to use an industrial grade MPU. Much less of a reach than the MC9S12XE, MPC563x or TMS570. Might not be that much of a job to port the whole thing including ChibiOS. You could probably run up to a 4-cyl. bike with the 64 lead VQFN device. The low-power version isn't much of an advantage on a vehicle which can generate its own electrical power. Better to have the higher mHz. Interesting for a mobile battery powered application though.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 12:24 am 

MSP432 LaunchPad: http://www.ti.com/tool/MSP-EXP432P401R
LaunchPad User Guide: http://www.ti.com/lit/ug/slau597/slau597.pdf
^ suggested reading if you're curious ^

Energia (http://energia.nu) is a port of the Arduino / Wiring environment for developing programs with a handful of TI chips used on their LaunchPads (Hercules not included :(). Handy for entry level types. TI's Code Composer Studio can import Energia sketches and then provide integrated debug functionality for advanced users.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 2:58 am 

Image of LP board with pin mapping:
Attachment:
MSP432P401R-Pins-Maps_small.jpg
MSP432P401R-Pins-Maps_small.jpg [ 608.5 KiB | Viewed 4222 times ]

The pin mapping reflects functionality of each pin:
Yellow = I2C / IIC
Orange = hardware UART
Blue = ADC input
Green = digital GPIO
Violet = analog output, a.k.a. PWM able
Red = SPI

Board can supply limited 3v3 and 5v0 current on marked pins when powered by USB; can accept external 5v0 on any such marked pin and provide 3v3 via onboard LDO; can accept external 3v3 and 5v0 supplied on such marked pins if appropriate pin header / jumpers are removed. On-board LED's LED1 (red) and LED2(RGB) can be disabled by removing the appropriate jumpers.

I haven't started playing with it yet but the idea of a low-end EFI system based on this is intriguing. Need to find out if TI-RTOS is pre-emptive or cooperative and how the USB back-channel UART works, as in does it operate independently of the other UART exposed to the pin headers or are they mutually exclusive.

If anyone's wondering (probably not, but hey...) the board is ~3 13/16 inch (97mm) long by 2 5/16" (59mm) wide.

Okay, you can go back to what you were doing. :)

Might be interesting to develop a handheld O5E programmer with....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:59 pm 

abecedarian wrote:
I haven't started playing with it yet but the idea of a low-end EFI system based on this is intriguing. Need to find out if TI-RTOS is pre-emptive or cooperative and how the USB back-channel UART works, as in does it operate independently of the other UART exposed to the pin headers or are they mutually exclusive.

There are 4x UART on the 100-lead device. One is presumably dedicated to the JTAG debugger "data channel" and a different one appears to be exposed on a BoosterPack riser. The other two should be accessible either through configuration of shared pins, possibly through the unpopulated pin header on the end of the board (unfortunately, the PDF schematic for the board isn't searchable so looking for things is unnecessarily time consuming). Never heard/read of a UART not operating independently so have no idea about the origin of that concern.

It would be an interesting exercise to determine the maximum data rate supported by the debugger data channel. If it works well, the "XDS110" code could possibly be used to get that function working on the LAUNCHXL2 boards. :idea:

If the TI-RTOS isn't adequate, FreeRTOS has already been ported for the MSP432 and supports CCS and GCC.

TI has a very nice dev board for the MSP432, the MSP-TS432PZ100 (LaunchPads are technically what are called demo boards). The board itself isn't that expensive, <$100 shipped, although it requires an external debugger such as an XDS100v2, another $80+ shipped, and should then work with the "free" version of CCS. It has a very nice feature which could save money and effort in the long run, a burn-in socket for the MCU. While they probably made it that way in order to use any of the 100-pin variants it also makes replacing the MCU easy if the MCU goes bad such as when the embedded flash memory wears out (not uncommon in a serious development environment).

However, I don't see the MSP432 as a particularly good candidate to run an engine. It has no CAN bus or LIN hardware interfaces, doesn't directly handle 5v. automotive sensors (max. 4.17v on all pins) or make any provision for interfacing to legacy 5v. devices or TTL logic. It's a good candidate for an app where an STM32F4 might be used but a true industrial grade device is required and the slower CPU speed is acceptable (72-128mHz).

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:49 pm 

Re UARTS: the G2 series LP's support G series MSP430's and some have only one UART module- that's where I was concerned about sharing.

MSP432 eUSCI_An module:
UCA0 is routed to the debugger through RXD/TXD jumpers so can be disconnected to allow it's use with external devices; similarly the debugger could be connected to a UART from an external device too.
UCA1 is routed to BP headers, shared with P3.2 / P3.3
UCA2 RXD is shared with the on-board blue LED
UCA2 TXD is routed to BP header shared with P2.3
UCA3 is routed to unpopulated positions P9.6 / P9.7
These modules can also be configured as SPI.

TM4C129 device used as the debugger supports up to 15Mbps on a UART; whether the XDS110 firmware enables rates above the MSP432's ability is another story. It's USB peripheral is compatible with USB2.0 / 480Mbps.

TI-RTOS might be a better option than FreeRTOS since the former includes libraries to set up most peripherals. Besides, TI-RTOS is free to use too.

The EK is a nice board for prototyping, I agree. Wouldn't need the debugger since I have the LP and it's debugger can work with external devices. I probably wouldn't purchase the EK unless the LP takes a crap, and I don't think I'm going to burn through all the eeprom life any time soon.

As an ECU, my needs are two cylinders and a handful of ADC. At the moment, it's just a fanciful thought. I just thought others might be interested.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]