It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:34 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: R.I.P. #rusEFI?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:13 pm 

The #rusEFI forum has recently been accessible only on a very limited basis. Sometimes it's possible to click through to the forum but then it will often go to a page with an "Internal Server Error" message. Sad that the hosting service can't be honest about the actual cause of the problem. Sad that there is no longer reliable access to a forum or wiki to support those who bought into the project.

Post subject: Re: R.I.P. #rusEFI?
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 2:53 pm 

That's what you get for going ot another ECU forum!

:lol:

When I click on it I see a note that they are upgrading the server so he probably just had a cheap package and needs to migrate it....because when you say "buy in" you really don't mean you actually paid anything but someone has to pay for the server so minimizing cost is generally pretty high on the list. I forget what this forum cost me....about $100/yr I think that is just money gone. so maybe keep that in mind ;)

Post subject: Re: o5e board project
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:56 pm 

That's maybe 2 hours from me too.....less than 30 minutes when I'm up at the corporate office.

I'm boycotting all things Russian in response to their behavior on the world stage in the last couple years.....I haven't decided if rusEFI counts as Russian though ;)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 10:55 am 

Horizenjob wrote:
Andrey I won't hold you hostage to world politics. :) I was going to look on your site tonight, but it seems to be in transition.

Andrey is welcome but I would prefer not to see the name rusEFI here as I consider it an unwelcome political statement. Normally this wouldn't come up on an ECU site but the name rusEFI forces it up

Russian troops now occupy territory of 3 neighboring countries and they've threatened the same for at least 3 more with the same treatment if the governments don't comply with Russia's wishes. All with 85% approval rating of the Russian public.

Clearly you've never had to explain to a child that they may never see their grandparents again because their city is occupied by the Russian army. It's not an easy discussion.

No one who supports the current Russian government's actions is welcome here. Period.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 12:21 pm 

Quote:
...because when you say "buy in" you really don't mean you actually paid anything but someone has to pay for the server so minimizing cost is generally pretty high on the list.

Of course. Then there was a non-trivial sum obtained from a Kickstarter campaign and some number of boards have been sold. That bears an obligation to maintain reliable access.

Quote:
That's what you get for going ot another ECU forum!

They do occasionally have an interesting thread over there but the mixed language posts are naturally an issue.

Quote:
I forget what this forum cost me....about $100/yr I think that is just money gone. so maybe keep that in mind ;)

There are several posts now by @russian explaining the situation. $100/yr seems very reasonable and I can't recall any QoS issues here. Seems like Andrey should just switch to another hosting service.

So, anyway, thanks Mark for keeping this forum going. Most of the other DIY EFI boards out there are hopelessly tied to MS and this is the only one afaik continuing an attempt to use a real automotive MCU.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:57 pm 

Quote:
Russian troops now occupy territory of 3 neighboring countries ...

Which ones other than Ukraine?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:23 pm 

US56 wrote:
Quote:
Russian troops now occupy territory of 3 neighboring countries ...

Which ones other than Ukraine?

Georgia and Moldova. They just grabbed more of Georgia a few months ago by literally moving the boarder fence/signs in the night.

They kidnapped an Estonia boarder security official about a year ago apparently for investigating official Russian smuggling into the EU.

They've assassinated or attempted to assassinate a couple heads of state in the past few years along with dozens of political opponents in and out of Russia.

Under Putin Russia has become a full fledged terrorist state.

We're way off topic though.....I'll cut all this out and move it to another thread when I get a moment

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:41 am 

I moved the rusEFI politics part of another thread here instead of opening a new one.....hopefully the OP doesn't mind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:36 am 

Quote:
...hopefully the OP doesn't mind.

Not at all. I should be making a better effort to keep up on these events. Had forgotten about the moves on Georgia and didn't know about anything going on with Estonia. States such as Moldova seem to be completely off the radar here in the U.S. Unfortunately, that behavior is enabled by the weakness projected by the foreign policy of the current U.S. administration.

The #rusEFI forum now seems to be accessible directly through the forum index page.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 12:39 pm 

The Estonia incident was only a day or 2 after an Oblahblah visit to show that the US stood with them!.......or on the other side of the ocean really :shock:

He's does a lot of harm around the world. Not that policing the world is the US's job, but if no one does it a mess follows and there really isn't anyone else as long as Russia and China have veto power in the UN. There is talk of rescinding the veto but it hasn't happened probably because the US sees it as the lesser evil and doesn't want to give it up....don't know but it leave only the US with the ability to actually act unfortunately.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:56 am 

I'll put this here, pretty funny:
http://www.newsweek.com/ukraine-google- ... dor-411723

Google translate had some interesting translations from Ukrainian to Russian on Monday:

Russian Federation = Mordor
Russian = occupier
Sergey Lavrov = sad faced horse

google's claim is that there are no human's involved and the system scans millions of documents to make translations and since those phrases have become very popular "translations" used in Ukraine it just happened.....pretty funny though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:09 pm 

Quote:
...pretty funny though.

Especially since Sergey Brin is a Russian immigrant.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 12 posts ]