It is currently Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:37 pm

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Nissan FJ20
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2016 9:29 am 

mk e wrote:
Spring is always tough for me and I'm also trying to finally finish the frankenFerrari and also changing jobs and which has made it much MUCH worse than normal...I do apologize.

Yes, we need to get you up and running!

I'm not in a hurry everybody have situations and i understand that, me for example
I do Hang Gliding for living and is always something that scramble my schedule, so i try not to take customers cars close to summer is to busy to work with cars, but most of the time i end up flying the day and work with installations/programing at night.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:49 am 

Quote:
I will not say simple, if you want something good you want to shoot hi, at least on the hardware part, you want to do it right the first time, you don't want to do jumpers for extra functionalities.

Simple was a reference to the engine I am using. I don't have a problem with having big thoughts, but for me the most important thing is to succeed with this effort. I am enjoying doing the hardware but what I want most is to make something that is most useable by actual people. Finding ways to present the information and make the hardware most useable.

I think stretch goals are things like doing a good job on knock detection. This plays to strengths on the CPU chip we are using, but it's a significant problem.

Quote:
Running wasted spark is a happy solution but if you do a external 4 coil driver let say you can duplicate the driver and you have 8 as you need, main board need to be designed for that option.

Quote:
Modular setup is is been always my idea, but need to be very careful with connections and noise. need reliable connectors.

I'm trying to do quality and economy on this unit. One board has the CPU and analog, the other board has the drivers. The initial driver board has 8 coil and injector drivers on it, and I haven't made real choices for other outputs yet.

The coil driver chips are also capable of doing PWM on the coil outputs and the injector outputs could be repurposed also. These are provided by Freescale 33810 parts.

The connectors are header pins and sockets and the boards are intended to be bolted together at the corners. Connectors are a very big subject, so if you have experience here we can discuss. It's easy to spend a lot of money on these things.

There are 2 26 pin headers between the boards now. One carries 8 injector and 8 coil signals. The other carries SPI and some other random signals plus logic power. There are some unused pins here, but they might get used for analog sensors on the driver board.

For more I/O on the driver board I'm hoping to use the SPI interface. I'd like to provide up to 8 LEDs for knock indicators for example. Maybe one is enough though and Tuner Studio could be used to find out more?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:18 pm 

Quote:
I want most is to make something that is most useable by actual people

Yes that's the purpose of all this but never forgetting who are the actual people and who will be the end customer. Here if a car run fast, the next day everybody change ECU's no matter if is the work of the tuner doing a grate job.

I like the spare outputs you can connect a bunch of stuff and make them useful. On pwm's be sure that those outputs have different frequencies capabilities (Lo-mid-hi).

For me i agree with all that you say.

Connectors? hummm extremely big selection very easy to going wrong here, i prefer the round military connectors with Raychem Spec 55 Wire but those round connectors are extremely expensive you can spend 100+ in a good pare, in other hands we can talk of using some AMPSEAL or if we need a lot of wiring for the knocks, vvti's etc etc we can talk about something like the file attached:
Attachment:
1565416-1.jpg
1565416-1.jpg [ 4.19 KiB | Viewed 12079 times ]

For the Main and driver boards, provably i need to sit and do a good research on that cos only i know are PC related connectors.
But please i know that works on MS ECU's, no PC printer connectors for external wiring.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 12:56 pm 

Quote:
Connectors? hummm extremely big selection very easy to going wrong here, i prefer the round military connectors with Raychem Spec 55 Wire but those round connectors are extremely expensive you can spend 100+ in a good pare, in other hands we can talk of using some AMPSEAL or if we need a lot of wiring for the knocks, vvti's etc etc we can talk about something like the file attached:

OK, I see Mouser has some of the Spec 55 wire. Let's move these aspects of the ECU discussion to another thread, and keep this one more specific to your needs for the FJ20...

I'll start a thread something like "Practical and basic ECU prototype issues"....

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:24 pm 

porelmundo wrote:

I like the spare outputs you can connect a bunch of stuff and make them useful. On pwm's be sure that those outputs have different frequencies capabilities (Lo-mid-hi).

Currently the FW uses the eTPU of PWM, so you can have any frequency you please.....and will work with the driver its attached to.

porelmundo wrote:
But please i know that works on MS ECU's, no PC printer connectors for external wiring.

I know......but the frankenECU uses MS3x drives board......so PC connectors :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 10:39 pm 

Quote:
I'll start a thread something like "Practical and basic ECU prototype issues"....

Yeah do that and i follow!

Quote:
I know......but the frankenECU uses MS3x drives board......so PC connectors :(

Yes i understand that, it is OK because is works but if we develop something in the future we need something else.

I'm going to start to re wire the engine next week, right now the wiring that it have is for single coil and batch injection but is very easy re wire provably it takes me only a day cos i have coils and some igniters that i can use. I found a company in US that have spec 55 wire in different colors so im buying some for this project.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:18 pm 

Quote:
I found a company in US that have spec 55 wire in different colors so im buying some for this project.

Could you post a link, please? It's good advertising for whoever sells that. I'm not completely convinced yet it's the right stuff for us, but one of the issues I had was ready availability.

I'll post some other thoughts over on the basic issues thread I started:
http://www.open5xxxecu.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=152&p=1628#p1628

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:29 pm 

Hi, which are the parts need it for this project:

1- Power supply
2- TRK-MPC5634M board
3-MS3X
4- 1 hall signal circuit in my case
5- Igniter 4 channels or some COP with build in
6- O2 wideband controller

Mike, do you have any diagram of the connection from main board to MS3X?
Do i need a FTDI to build the o5e into the processor?
Any special serial monitor?
Good explanation of the process will be nice.
Thank you
Rob

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:49 pm 

The package is finally on it's way to you.
FedEx tracking number:

I missed the truck today, so the number may not be live until tomorrow

In the box
1- Power supply
2- TRK-MPC5634M board
3-MS3X, qty 2
4- 1 hall signal circuit in my case - 2 channel from JB Perf the MS#x boards also each have one on them so you should be all set
5 - plastic board to mount everything on neatly and securely (please use it )
6- jumpers and header ends to make decent board to b oard wirining (please use them)
7- connectors to plug into the MS3x boards
8- USB cable, that should be all you need to connect TS or CW 2.10 to the 5634 board

Sorry it's taken me so long to get it out to you :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:16 am 

Ooo! Cool, that's are good news, Thanks.

Casually i was thinking today about those header connectors, individual jumpers are a mess, sure i will use them.

As soon as i get the parts i will let you know so you can advice me on how to proceed.

Rob

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:11 am 

Sorry it took me so long but you should have everything you need.

Yes, I did a jumper creation with jumpers that were really too short and they were falling off and boards flopping around...it was horrible and worthless. I sent longer jumps and headers to plug them into, a board to mount everything too...you should be able to build a very functional bread-board ECU from what's in the box.

also have a look at this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=81

so you know what I was thinking a couple years ago and where I was headed

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:28 pm 

Mk e, i received the part today, already connect it to tuner studio and works perfect, check all components and all arrive perfect. Tomorrow i will check for the best layout for the board and look for the code to see what goes where, if you have a diagram will be best, any advice at this point will be helpful.
Thank you so much.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:34 am 

Last night i figure it out all connections between the boards, reading the code. i also found some duplicated numbers on the code that provably you can tell me why works like that.
Today I'm going to be working on the layout and mount the pieces to the glass board.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:26 pm 

Cool
I was going to have to dig through the code to help anyway

As far as duplicates....if you point me toward the specific item I might know but in general there are a bunch of space holders here and there.

Maybe post the layout you've come up with and I look it over?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:37 pm 

This is how it going, need to keep working on the wiring, Almost do some holes to put standoffs to the i/o boards but instead i use double tape for now.

Attachments:
IMG_3275.JPG
IMG_3275.JPG [ 99.54 KiB | Viewed 11958 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2016 9:09 pm 

Fantastic! Sorry I've been silent....I started a new job Monday so a lot going on, that looks fantastic though....finally the parts are in the RIGHT hands!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 10:42 pm 

Everything is ready for the car install next week, also waiting for a better power supply that i order, is going to be here next week also. If controls the timing, believe me it will turn on. Very exited about all this, I'already design a shield for the TKR board, waiting how things run next week with the franky to send it for manufacturing.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 8:39 am 

porelmundo wrote:
Everything is ready for the car install next week, also waiting for a better power supply that i order, is going to be here next week also. If controls the timing, believe me it will turn on. Very exited about all this, I'already design a shield for the TKR board, waiting how things run next week with the franky to send it for manufacturing.

A almost dropped another 5V supply in the box.....:(

I've been trying for ...ooooohhhhh 5 years now to get someone to do a "shield" for the TKR board.

My strong advice is get the franky work first though. Once it's working with known parts you can do a test circuit for anything new you're thinking about for the shield and know exactly what you're getting before spending any real money. A good prototype/test unit saves a ton of time and money in the long run.

How about the FW....do you have what you need?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:48 pm 

Quote:
My strong advice is get the franky work first though. Once it's working with known parts you can do a test circuit for anything new you're thinking about for the shield and know exactly what you're getting before spending any real money. A good prototype/test unit saves a ton of time and money in the long run.

That's all i mean to do, as soon as i know this work, I will revise all my designs and send it for manufacturing, i already check for the components need it and the best approach with the different signals (power, inputs, outputs, analogs, digital etc.). but first i will make the franky work without problems, perhaps do some data logs and discuses here in the forum.
I,m doing this base on my requirements, and my own installations so i want that you think what exactly will be your requirements base on the TKR board so i can check and add stuff if we need it. so think about it and make me a list( how many drivers etc.).

Quote:
How about the FW....do you have what you need?

For now i need to wait until i try to start the engine. If you want to take a look at the SIU_OPS.c look for the fuel pump and the tach out, they say input where need to say output. another thing is that i'm not receiving MAP valeus on tuner studio, SIU_OPS say that is at AN27 but also at AN9 i have it connect at AN27 but i dont know because AN channel functions do not require PCR settings as it say.
Also on the config.h, probavly you can check why you duplicate this number.

#define FUEL_CHANNELS_1_6 6,7,8,9,9,10 //5 used instead of 10 to get LED on on deme board
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_7_12 11,12,24,24,20,20
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_13_18 20,20,20,20,20,20 /* not used for 5634 */
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_19_24 20,20,20,20,20,20 /* not used for 5634*/
//changed the channel 18 for testing
#define SPARK_CHANNELS_1_6 2,3,4,5,24,24 // 10 used instead of 5,to give LED to fuel 1
#define SPARK_CHANNELS_7_12 24,24,24,24,24,24 /* 9-12 not used for 5634*/
#define TACH_CHANNEL 14 // Tach Output (pwm) eTPU chan
#define FUEL_PUMP_PIN 129 // fuel pump

fuel channels as i understan need to be, 1-6: 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 7-12: 11,12,20,20,20,20

Thanks, is going to work!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:16 am 

porelmundo wrote:
For now i need to wait until i try to start the engine. If you want to take a look at the SIU_OPS.c look for the fuel pump and the tach out, they say input where need to say output. another thing is that i'm not receiving MAP valeus on tuner studio, SIU_OPS say that is at AN27 but also at AN9 i have it connect at AN27 but i dont know because AN channel functions do not require PCR settings as it say.
Also on the config.h, probavly you can check why you duplicate this number.

#define FUEL_CHANNELS_1_6 6,7,8,9,9,10 //5 used instead of 10 to get LED on on deme board
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_7_12 11,12,24,24,20,20
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_13_18 20,20,20,20,20,20 /* not used for 5634 */
#define FUEL_CHANNELS_19_24 20,20,20,20,20,20 /* not used for 5634*/
//changed the channel 18 for testing
#define SPARK_CHANNELS_1_6 2,3,4,5,24,24 // 10 used instead of 5,to give LED to fuel 1
#define SPARK_CHANNELS_7_12 24,24,24,24,24,24 /* 9-12 not used for 5634*/
#define TACH_CHANNEL 14 // Tach Output (pwm) eTPU chan
#define FUEL_PUMP_PIN 129 // fuel pump

fuel channels as i understan need to be, 1-6: 6,7,8,9,10,11 and 7-12: 11,12,20,20,20,20

Thanks, is going to work!!!!!

Well that's a mess!

For for fuel 13-24 are let over from the 5554 days, the 5634 doesn't have enough eTPU channels for that. Rather than delete we just assigned everything to the same channel, 20. That can probably come out.

Why fuel 1-6 and 7-12 are messed up I'm not sure. The note a using 5 instead of 10 is that there are LEDs are 2 and 5 and I like to just watch them blink when I'm messing with stuff. I was moving stuff around a bit trying to get 4 inputs working for wheel speed and this is probably all related to that, for some reason not all channels would act s inputs the way I thought they should.

ok
Looking at SIU_OPS.c I see first I haven't touched anything in 4 years :oops:

Then I see exactly what I thought, I was moving stuff around it looks like playing with wheel sensors inputs, but I don't recall exactly what the problem was. fuel 11&12 aren't anywhere but it looks like I intended eTPU 24&25 to be tach/fuel but for some reason moved then where fuel 11/12 were.

The input stuff you see there is just a reference Jon had asked for...it should be deleted IMO. Inputs are actually setup in Variable_OPS.c it looks like ...my mind is rusty.

I hesitate to start changing ANYTHING from my end now that you've wired up the franky. I think the best think is ask if there is a reason before you change, then fix it on your end. We need to get you setup to do commits so we can get a second set of eyes on your changes and move the fixes into the main code.

With Marsuc also doing HW I'm sure we'll want stuff different again so we'll need to agree on a repository strategy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 am 

I just realized the links for the repository and wiki were still pointing to the locked googlecode site, updated to the live github

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:01 pm 

Ok, where do i start, been doing some test this week and i have a lot of things to report back.
The new power supply is installed, everything on power side work perfectly and all wiring to the i/o boars are perfect.

Before i install it on the car i decide to do some test with the actual trigger so i wire a complete trigger wheel that is going to be install next on the car (I didn't want to burn the starter testing) so using my hand drill and configuring TS with my arrangement, the good news is that is works, steady RPS on low revolutions and on high revolutions. Ok, this is the tricky part: look like the coils and injectors are firing right up but if i stop cranking and resume crank without resetting looks like the coil channel one is the only one that is firing then later and sometimes the other follows but not always, if i reset works well on the first crank ( think that i can live with that for now).

I need a better explanation of the crank position setup on TS, cos this is what i got; i'm using a wheel that is 24-1-1 at cam speed, so that will give us 12-1 plus 1 on the cam.
Attachment:
TW_L28ET-600x600.jpg
TW_L28ET-600x600.jpg [ 24.29 KiB | Viewed 11829 times ]

#1 tooth will be the tooth count from the missing tooth to where align with TDC lets say TDC is at the tooth number 3 then every tooth is 30 Deg so will be 90.
Next, i really don't know how to set up the cam lobe position before missing tooth, related to the crank position, if you look at the pic of the trigger wheel, and if i understand well before the missing tooth it will 30 deg?(one tooth back?) or the real position related to the crank that will be 330 deg and in that case it say only 270 deg, please explain. also if you can explain the cam window thing.

Ok now, if you select in "ignition type setup" Direct fire and number of coils by cylinder it's looks like its working as mean to be, but if you select waste spark and cylinder the first channel go high(invert fire mode), don't know need to test channel 2 and 3 cos i only see 1 and 4, I'm going to hook some led's on the output for all channels.(read on the code some part that waste spark was not working but i dont exactly know)

The sync indicator never change status on TS , but provably is related to wrong configuration of the crank position set up, so first i need to figure it out that first.

Now on the hardware part it's looks like the MS3X going to work, but this is what i found:
Provably add some resistors for sensor bias, no big deal i can find the correct ones no problem at all.
The trigger signals are strong and nice i test it with my oscilloscope, the processor see the signals, steady RPM and if you disconnect the cam RPM stop.
the analogs are the problem, TPS OK, Battery Voltage OK, MAP1 not working on any pin, Map2 Not working, O2-1 not working, 02-2 Not working.

Ok this is the deal, Map 1 is not reporting in TS(read a note on the code that say that have some problems, we need to start working on that)
O2-1 is giving unrealistic numbers on 0 and 5 volts.
02-2 haha, this is the good part, i think that something is mess on the software with the O2's.
Pin 22, mes with Batt, MAp 2 and O2-1 pin 23 the same, pin24 is Batt not O2-2 and 25 is Batt again.
Someone need to take a lock at those analogs.

And last that i remember now, If you select load sensing method TPS, you don't have any results on the tables, you can see it on the flow calibration but not on the Fuel table.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:32 am 

Certainly a mix of good and bad.

Can you do me a huge favor and start a separate thread for each issue? I think the discussion will get unreadable really fast wiht so much going on all at once all in 1 thread and I'll try to look in a couple times a day going forward.

Most don't sound too bad to sort....but lets get them split up and hit them 1 by 1.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:49 am 

Nice, I will start one by one thread about the issues that we need to address.

Exited,

Rob

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:25 pm 

Any progress Rob?

or has a particular issue stopped you that I might be able to help with?

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2