It is currently Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:25 am

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: N2HET
PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:09 pm 

N2HET, as mentioned elsewhere, is a high-resolution timer peripheral incorporated within the TMS570 and RM4/RM5 processors TI offers. As also mentioned, it is a dedicated microcontroller within its own rights which provides functionalities such as:
- able to respond to external events such as a signal from a Hall sensor or similar
- provide high-resolution timer facilities, up to at least 32 bits
- perform PWM with variable frequency and duty cycle
- perform transformations from the time domain to angle domain
- provides hardware facilities to assist with angle transformations and facilitation of missing tooth, a.k.a. "singularities" in TI's parlance, detection events.
*- this is by no means a comprehensive list -*

One sticking point with using the hardware angle generation facilities (a.k.a. HWAG) is almost complete lack of documentation for that. This may not be lost though because it may be possible to work around this with a purely software approach, but that may limit the application of these chips to a broader audience.

I have made a request to TI for documentation and a limited demo / example of using the LAUNCHXL2 board itself to generate a signal simulating a trigger wheel, and having an N2HET module interpret the generated signal.

I will update this as I have more information, but feel free to comment or ask questions.

My O5E candidate: 1982 Honda CX500TC motorcycle.

Post subject: Re: O57T: Peripherals - N2HET
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:27 pm 

abecedarian wrote:
- provides hardware facilities to assist with angle transformations and facilitation of missing tooth, a.k.a. "singularities" in TI's parlance, detection events.

Odd use of the word "singularity." Guess the tech writer who wrote that couldn't think of anything better.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:36 pm 

US56 wrote:
abecedarian wrote:

Odd use of the word "singularity." Guess the tech writer who wrote that couldn't think of anything better.

Probably a reference to something that otherwise had no meaning- a singular event. Likely used to create an index or reference point with regards to everything else.

I often find that tech people give esoteric names to things, so this doesn't shock me.

What does bother me is that oft times a trigger wheel might have multiple singularities.

Dark matter, maybe.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:40 pm 

abecedarian wrote:
Probably a reference to something that otherwise had no meaning- a singular event.

That's exactly the point. It's not a singular event but a recurring one.
abecedarian wrote:
Dark matter, maybe.

Dark matter? What dark matter? Dark matter is an invention of astrophysicists and others who don't understand what's really going on out there.

Post subject: N2HET
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:41 pm 

US56 wrote:
abecedarian wrote:
Probably a reference to something that otherwise had no meaning- a singular event.

That's exactly the point. It's not a singular event but a recurring one.

It's a singularity with respect to it's environment.
Quote:
abecedarian wrote:
Dark matter, maybe.

Dark matter? What dark matter? Dark matter is an invention of astrophysicists and others who don't understand what's really going on out there.

If you bring up EU theory and Birkeland currents, I'll have to re-think this whole thing.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]